Tomorrow (January 14, 2020) support for WIndows 7 will end. This means that no more will you be receiving updates to the operating system, security, and support. You are at the risk of any new bugs, viruses, and hacking that may occur. Microsoft recommends that you update to Windows 10 to stay current.
The free update to Windows 10 from Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 has passed and there is a chance you may still update for free.
If you do try this method and get to the point where Windows does update to Windows 10 you might find that it will not activate your free license. At this point if it does not activate then you will have to purchase a license for WIndows 10 (in the ballpark of $139.00 for Home version) from Microsoft or a retailer.
So before you try these steps make sure you understand that you might have to pay for a license. Be warned.
Steps to upgrade to Window 10 from Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 ONLY – do these steps on the PC you are upgrading:
- Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
- Click “Download Tool Now” under “Create Windows 10 installation media”
- Click “Run”
- Choose “Upgrade this PC now”
- Follow instructions in installation
- When complete and using WIndows 10 go to “Settings Update & Security” then Activation
- If you see a Digital License then you have upgraded for free
If you do not see the Digital License then you will need to purchase a license from Microsoft or a Retailer. You will have 30 days to complete the registration of a new license.